Panorama photo of the Copenhagen Lakes, Sortedam Lake, the Parisian towers on Soetorvet, Queen Louise Bridge, the start of Noerrebrogade and a view over Noerrebro and Copenhagen.
The photograph is created using Lambda printing, known as the most advanced system for producing the highest quality, glossy photographic prints available for large format printing.
The pictures are sold signed by the artist himself. The photo is not framed.
Originally the area, which the lakes now form, was one long stream. It had an arch shape and was just outside the city levees. In the early Middle Ages, a need of water for watermills was determined. As a result of this a dam was built and the Peblinge lake was created.
As a result of a siege of Copenhagen in 1523, it was decided to expand the entrenchments in order to improve the fortifications of the city. The levee at Peblinge lake was expanded and another was created, which resulted in the creation of Sortedams lake. In the beginning of the 16th century, Sankt Jørgens lake was created, by further damming. This made it possible to flood the banks and lakes in case of an attack.
Peblinge lake and Sortedams lake also served as reservoirs for the city, and in the period 1705-1727 they were cleaned and dug deeper. The edges were also straightened, giving them their current shape. In the middle of the 18th century they were discontinued as a source of drinking water, due to poor water quality. Sankt Joergens lake was to be used instead and it was cleaned and straightened in a similar manner as had the two other lakes 120 years earlier. Until the end of World War II, it played a central role in as a reservoir in Copenhagen and as a backup reservoir until 1959.
The first Fredensbro (bridge) was built across Sortedams lake in 1878 as a small wooden bridge. The current Fredensbro is a wide levee, that separates the two basins. It was created in 1976-1977.
The vertical slopes of Peblinge lake and Sortedams lake were made in 1929, where the pathways surrounding the lakes also were made. In the 60's it was suggested a four lane city ring be constructed, but the project was disbanded and the lakes were granted the a status of a protected area in 1966.
Size: 125 x 31 cm