The Nivaagaard Collection
This delightful art collection situated North of Copenhagen was founded by the landowner, politician and philanthropist Johannes Hage (1842-1923). Covering the Italian Renaissance and Dutch Baroque painting as well as the Danish Golden Age art, the collection contains 500 years of art history. The first intimate museum building was built in temple style in 1903. In 1908 Hage turned his collection into a self-owning institution which made it available to the public. Additional buildings were constructed in 1988 and 1992. The Nivaagaard Collection is situated in a famous rhododendron park and holds many important art exhibitions and events.
The European collection contains works by Giovanni Bellini, Claude Lorrain and Rembrandt. The Danish collection contains works by some of the leading artists of the Danish Golden Age, including C.W. Eckersberg, Christen Købke, Johan Lundbye, Wilhelm Marstrand, Martinus Rørbye and P. C. Skovgaard.